Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Unknown.....

The Unknown is worrisome. Certain anxieties about my life always come up when I'm at a crossroad. Not knowing where life will take me, not knowing the outcome.

I recently had an exciting job interview and it got me thinking about fate...

There is research that proves that the idea of fate, statistically, does not exist. It's actually just coincidences that exist. Check this out: CBC News All-in-a-day Math Talk (click on November 5, 2007 issue). It's a radio clip that runs for 9 minutes and talks about how there are high chances, good probabilities, that coincidences can easily occur, and although we like to credit nice coincidences to fate, it's really just a correlation. The host is a little skeptical of these findings so he really quizzes Brett Stevens on the issue which is good because I'd question these finding too.

But back to the idea of believing in fate. We like to think that nice stories about people meeting each other and perhaps falling in love is destiny at its best. Super unlikely things that happen surprise people and I think people rely too much on fate to help them make decisions in life. Realistically, it's a way to justify things that happen to us that we can't understand otherwise. But maybe that keeps us sane. We seek explanations for everything and when an aswer is not obvious we use beliefs in fate or faith to fill in those blanks.

I guess it's just nice to think that we have a destiny. Just something to think about.....

No comments: