Thursday, October 11, 2007

Personality: a world of combinations

Personalities fascinate me and there is so much research and theory done about them. A few years ago, in a class I took, I learned about the base of a personality using the "Big 5" factors:

O.C.E.A.N
1.Openness - rates how open-minded you are
2.Conscientiousness - rates how organized and aware you are
3.Extroversion - rates how energetic, talkative and personable you are
4.Agreeableness - rates how kind, sympathetic and affectionate you are
5.Neuroticism - rates anxiety, worry or moodiness
You can take a personality test to rate yourself based on these 5 factors here.

Recently, I learned about another theory: The Four Personality Traits.I learned that each person has two prominent traits that stand out and this is the personality visible to people on an every-day basis.
I would say that I'm highly Analytical and Experiential and then thirdly Emotion/Relations and fourthly, Organizational.
For each trait, there is also a negative and positive side which is displayed using key words in green (positive) and blue (negative). Each person is somewhere along the spectrum on their individual trait so for example, I might be Analytical but I would weigh heavier on the critical side.

Compatibility with others:
Here's where I find this to be the most interesting. In my opinion, you are born with the base of your personality but you develop the negative/positive aspects as your grow up and you experience different things in life. You can't change someone's personality since it is practically in their DNA. For this reason, you will click more with some people than others.

Think about yourself and your friends and see where each of them are on the chart. Now, think of someone you don't particularly like. Where would they be on the chart?

They say that in order for two people to be compatible, they need to share at least 1 of the two prominent traits. So my partner would need to be a combination that either included Experiential or Analytical. But this theory just gives a base on who you might be compatible to begin with but the rest of the relationship and how successful it is, will be based on the work you put into it. Knowing someone's Big 5 factors might give you an idea as to how they might function in certain situations and how they might react to certain things asl well.

So, after all this, the moral of the story is...get to know someone and understand the method to their madness. Their behavior can be explained by many things and it might help you to better understand where they're coming from. You may find that you'll judge people less and be more understanding as a result.

No comments: