Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Happy Love Your Body Day

This the first year that I'm celebrating Love Your Body Day (October 18th). I never knew it existed actually. In fact, there are a lot of things I've learned over the last few months that never occurred to me. This is a growing and learning process. One that deserves a celebration. How fitting!


For this day, I invite you to look at this video. Be patient, it takes some time to load (and requires Flash).

Keep in mind, it stresses media as the cause of Eating disorders, low self-esteem and body image issues etc but I would (once again) be reluctant to completely blame the media. I still stand behind my theory that the media only reflects what society believes. Yes, it emphasizes many negative things but in fact, it's what people want to see (unfortunately). Only when our image of beauty truly changes, will you see beauty change in advertising. After all, if it wasn't appealing to us, it wouldn't be useful in persuasion.

There are some images in the presentation that definitely cross boundaries and there's even some mention about removing some ad campaigns because of their offensive nature but I think those are more likely to be abusive images rather than unattainable body images. When's the last time someone removed an ad because the woman was too thin?

I think the only cases I've ever heard of ads being banned were ones where teens were highly sexualized or women were being portrayed in an abusive manner.

I digress. The point is.....the presentation is well put together and interesting.

Do something bold. Do something for yourself. Feel the relief.

..........Happy Love Your Body Day!

No comments: