Tuesday, February 19, 2008

To Scale or Not to Scale?

I stepped on the scale this morning and I'm still on the way down. It feels good knowing that my metabolism is readjusting now. I've noticed a big changed with satiety and the binging is still under wraps. I look back at my weekend filled with birthday dinners, drinks and valentine's chocolate and I see that my body was able to metabolize it unlike before when it would store everything. Although, I must admit, I'm still wondering if this is temporary...although I hope and have been told that it will work out.

But should I be stepping on the scale every week? With exercise on the menu, I'm more inclined to believe that numbers won't shift as fast on the scale. After all, muscle does weigh more than fat so the fat will turn to muscle and the scale doesn't show that.

I know a lot of people are obsessed with numbers. Actually, there's a woman in my group therapy session -I'm still not quite comfortable with admitting that I attend one- who is totally obsessed with her scale. She actually moves it around her apartment several times a day, using the imperfections in its accuracy to decide where it reads that she is lightest that day. It sounds nuts but I feel like if I would have continued down the path I was on, I could have been her.

I remember weighing myself 3 times a week and making sure that I drank at least a half a bottle of water before so that I could flush out liquids before I stepped on the scale. Even that's a little nuts considering your weight changes with so many factors.

I think I should stick more so to how I feel. And I feel good :)

No comments: