Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Chubby Chasers

Something that was always intriguing to me was the idea of the "chubby chaser". That's a person that is attracted to someone who is overweight. They prefer it that way. It's usually joked about but it got me thinking....

I often think about history and wonder how things evolved and how our ideals about weight changed over time. Why is weight a factor in our attractiveness? Strip away the fact that we've been trained and taught to believe that 'this' or 'that' is attractive... then think about why weight (whether you like em slim or tubby) is a factor?

It must have to do with biological needs. If you're healthy, you can procreate but somewhere along the line, our ideals about being health got meddled with weight. Of course, there's a difference between being unhealthy and being chubby yet healthy. That difference is also blurred in society's views since being fat has become a moral panic. In fact, TIME Magazine wrote an article about just that - being fat AND healthy. It's possible.

So back to the idea of a "chubby chaser". You hear people say things like "it's more cushion for the pushin' ", or "he likes meat on those bones"....etc I don't know why it's funny but it is. And I wonder why it is that way. It's almost like society can't understand how a fat person could be attractive to someone. How is that NOT rude?!

I must admit, we can't control what we are and aren't attracted to and I have my cut-off points as well but as I get older, I feel like people are more likely to go for what they want and not what society tells them to. So, funny as it may be, I solute Chubby Chasers for having the courage to say "I like fatties and you can't stop me". haha!

No comments: