Monday, September 10, 2007

Fighting words

Britney Spears performed at the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards but you can't see her "come back" moves online because there's been so much hype about it. YouTube has taken down all the videos and even the MTV site won't allow you to stream the video outside of the USA.

But the point is that critics are saying she completely flopped and lost her only chance of making a real come back. Among the criticisms are the fact that she was lip synching, her dance moves were weak and they say she's out of shape.


I managed to get a glimpse of the video this morning and the singing and the dancing, I can agree on but "out of shape"?! That's pathetic. These are not digitally altered pictures, these are straight from her live perfomance. I have no idea where they get "out of shape" from. It made me mad to hear that.

So I wrote an email to John Maynard of the Washington post who also said Britney was out-of-shape:

"...Your choice of words makes women feel bad about themselves and considering you have the power to distribute your message in the media, you should use that power to promote healthy ideals, not unrealistic ones.

Telling the world that you think Britney is out-of-shape won't make your story any better, it just makes you look like a chauvinist. Next time, think about your role in the media and how you're contributing to society."

I doubt he'll write back but it felt good pressing "send".

No comments: